Monday, July 19, 2010

Hospitable Guatemalan family and onto Honduras

















Recharged with positive energy from seeing my sister Angelica in Oaxaca (pic), I finally made my way down south towards Guatemala. Made my way from Oaxaca to Tapachula on an overnight bus, had a heavenly delicious "licuado de yaca", which is a blended fruit juice with jackfruit, milk and ice!! I thought I could only get jackfruit in Thailand/Cambodia! Wonderful combination! (If you're reading this, try it!) After the stop over, I headed onward to Guatemala City. About 20hrs bus ride later, I was pretty pooped. So when Luis (pic), my Guatemalan bus companian who's lived 20 yrs in the States offered me to stay at his home for a day before heading onward to Honduras, I couldn't refuse his generous offer as the thought of staying in Guatemala City (i believe more dangerous than Mexico City), did not appeal to me! I ended up spending 3 nights at his home, was treated like a family member, and was even offered the room of his mom. I felt really bad but Luis told me that such is the hospitality of the Guatemalans. I ate traditional Guatemalan food, kissed every member of the family about 3-4 times a day (as is per custom, after waking up, when leaving the house, when arriving home, when going to bed!), and served as a guineapig for Luis, as he was eager to become a tour guide in Guatemala after spending so many years in the US. What is there to complain when there's food, lodging, warmth, and good company :)

After a short stay in Guatemala (I intend to return, and even promised Luis' family (pic) that I will as they told me they want to prepare me more specialty Guatemalan meals upon my return), I headed onward to Honduras.


Bus trip: Guatemala City to San Pedro Sula (Honduras). Crossing the border consisted of getting off the bus, walking through a hole in a wired fence, turned the corner, and was pointed to the Honduran immigration "office". I've read a lot about Honduran officials demanding more than the usual required 60 lempiras ($3US), so I chatted up nicely the immigration officer and ended up leaving with a map of Honduras for a 1st time visit to the country :)


The ride was rather smooth thanks to dimenhidrinato (Gravol), which made me sleep through 9h30 of the 10h30 ride! As much as I dislike injesting tablets of any form, this was highly necessary as my last 2 long bus rides left me with nausea for 1 1/2 day afterwards each time. Not sure if my body is simply trying to cope with the wide change in diet, or from the 2/3 antibiotics treatments ... which as a result made me very vulnerable to motion sickness and I suspect that I may have a light version of hypoglycemic syndrome. Another life saver for sleeping through the ride is that, I later learnt that the toilet didn't work nor would the door close... so much to say that I bought the ticket through Galgos, a so-called "1st class" bus company. I only realized afterward that Galgos just served as a booking service and sent an un-uniformed guy to pick us from from their bus terminal to "Congolon"! Once I got onto the bus, my ticket was taken away from me, leaving me with no proof of purchase, leaving me quite uneasy. Welcome to Honduras! already more chaotic further south I go!


During the little time I was awake, I met my 1st Honduranian woman who told me of her difficult life conditions back at home. Lost her husband & 1.y.o baby in the same year, had no job, thus no food. Thus driven with desparation crossed the border without paper to Mexico to find a job by knocking door to door. She sends money home whenever she could via Moneygram or another company of the like, which charges an extortionary rate of fee + exchange... about 25% of her hard earned bread $ was lost in translation... We gave each other a heartfelt goodbye and exchanged a warm hug. This left me a bit shaken... onward I trodded on and took another bus to "Tela", a quiet beachfront city. Not much here other than a stop over town, in which I ate street fruits and got slightly sick again...

Tela to La Ceiba: 50km, 2 1/2 hr bus ride, $2US later (I don't recall the number of stops we made... too many!) I met the 1st ever Taiwanese traveler on my trip! He actually came from Taiwan to do a similar tour as me. I decided to hang out with my taiwanese counterpart before departing to the kind of homey feeling, like a strength before I move on further. I even had a taste of a taiwanese snack!

(After much struggle, the pics are up!)
The little house with the eggs was inside the Guatamalan family's home :) cute!!!

4 comments:

  1. Motion sickness, upset stomach, hmmm... this could almost be an ad for pepto bismal:
    'When travelling through remote regions and taking the least travelled path, don't forget your pepto bismal'
    Images of Jenny on the bus, off the bus, broken toilet, street vendor fruit, clutching stomach.

    However, good to hear you made it safely to Honduras.

    Much love,

    sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing I notice about travelling is that we always look for the familiar while were away...home away from home. It's so interesting that you are drawn to Asian/German/Canadian influences while you are in Mexico. I realized that Mat and I did this too while we were away and reading about your travels just made me think about it more...
    Hope you are well!! Stay safe,
    Sara xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading "eat, pray and love" and am thinking of you big time!!!!! A few pages down and I thought "darn i should have read it earlier cuz I would definitely buy you a copy and slip it into your luggage".

    I am amazed with the people you meet along your way, strangers who are hospitable and who have a tale to tell. They bring a different perspective to your journey, tell you life experiences that only locals can tell. I think I am way too skeptical about strangers when I am abroad and alone. I always think of them as scammers, sigh, and yes, I do miss out on the fun and treasureable moment of meeting these people. Keep it up baby, enjoy enjoy enjoy~
    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sam: lol, never seen that commercial. So far I am good as I haven't been on a bus for awhile and haven't gotten sick either yay! Although one of the American that visited us came down with Dengue Fever... I'll go put on more bug spray!!

    @Sara: You are absolutely right! I don't always do it instinctively, but it offers us a little piece of home while away. People ask me what do I miss? Right now I am content as I can reach through to my friends through the net :)

    @Candy: Indeed I think you should let the strangers into your lives! Just make sure you hand pick them :) Yes there are lots of scammers, but use your instinct to tell them apart and you'll get an unexpected experience everytime! xxoo

    ReplyDelete