Sunday, August 29, 2010

On my way out of Honduras


After leaving the kids, I made my way out of Honduras stopping by Santa Rosa de Copán (pics below), an untouristed city with great locally grown and brewed coffee and frappuchino (surprise, surprise, here they have another name for it: "granita") and Copán, the famous city where lies one of the most famous Mayan ruins. Santa Rosa de Copán has very little to offer to the tourists, but nonetheless, I met some friendly people and witness how orange is sold on the streets! One chooses an orange, hands it over to the vendor who sets it on a look-like pencil sharpener tool but instead it peeles the orange peel just enough for easy hand peeling afterwards. Although he still sliced the orange in half with his knife, to which I stared with foreboding, as the last time I ate fresh fruit from the streets left me on the toilet for an unwanted period of time... but good thing I got lucky or I've grown enough immunity, only the universe knows :D


Copán, a beautiful quiet little town on the border of Honduras/Guatemala. Probably the most beautiful place in Honduras, thanks to the development of tourists (without being over-run), and yet retains the local character of the city. As famous as the ruins were, I prefer to visited the "vivo" (life) than the "muerte" (death), thus I ended up visiting a beautiful nature reserve where birds of all kinds, particularly parrots and macaws, are rescued from illegal trade or mis-treated owners.
Left: Toucan, Middle: two type of Macaws, Far right: Scarlet Macaw posing for me!


The hotel owner were a great bunch! Here is another local cutie munching (or rather smashing) a piece of blush-pink dragon fruit from the mountain ! I got a taste of it as well, gratuity of the owner, Amora.



G'bye to the blazing heat of Honduras and onwards to the high altitude climate of Guatemala...

2 comments:

  1. Fruit looks yummy!

    It even tastes better when you eat them without a care!

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny, smuggle a beautiful birdie back!!!

    ReplyDelete